St Swithun Wells
St Swithun Wells School | Hunters Hill, Ruislip
In 1958 Father Philip Dayer was sent out from Westminster to form a new catholic parish in South Ruislip. He began operations from a house in Queens Walk, to which he added a small chapel from where mass could be said. He made his next priority the provision of a school. Land on East Mead was acquired and Blessed Swithen Wells was built and opened in January 1962. A hut set up on the site was used as a mass centre until St Gregory's church was opened in Victoria Road in 1967 and then accommodated a remedial class until 1984, when children with special needs were absorbed into ordinary classes.
The school opened with 80 children in four classrooms, two infant and two junior , but very soon expanded to seven classes, with about 35 children in each. A nursery was built for 20 children, in 1981. There are probably about 200 children on roll now (1991).
Brief details are show below. Some of the web sites are very large!
Main Ruislip site
Up to date information about Ruislip and the area. Plus sections with suggested walks and even why houses are so expensive. Not forgetting the spies and USAF South Ruislip, so some history too.
Ruislip In Pictures
Ruislip's premier attraction and so important it gets a web site all to itself.
Everything from the history from years back to struggling to park today. It is all here.
Some classic pictures from years gone by.
We also run the community web site for Ickenham. Loads of old pictures and some more up to date one plus details of all that Ickenham has to offer.
Details of all the pubs and more is just one click away.