This web site is very large. Use the search engine below if you 
cannot find what, or who, you are looking for.



The old version of this web site is now
  here

South Ruislip Station

South Ruislip Station

South Ruislip Station by David Seale
Ruislip Online would wish to point out that all the text below is copyright to London's Transport Museum and would wish to express unreserved thanks for their help in compiling this page. Why don't you visit their excellent web site?

The station originally opened serving the Great Western Railway (GWR) and Great Central Railway (GCR) joint lines on 1 May 1908. The construction of a completely new station was begun as part of the GWR's contribution to the Underground's New Works Programme of 1935 -1940. This projected Central line services on new electrified tracks parallel to the existing GWR lines. Delayed by World War Two (WW2), the new station opened on 21 November 1948 with the adjacent platforms still serving main line services.

South Ruislip Station

South Ruislip Station from Station Approach
Like other stations on the western extension of the Central line, the station building was not complete when the station opened in 1948 and  temporary facilities continued to be used for many years to come, presumably in fact until the station building was completed in 1961-62. During the 1980s the booking hall was modernised as part of the Underground Ticketing System (UTS) programme, and the platforms were resurfaced. Some reconstruction was carried out in 1998 to the platforms and platform buildings, when new lighting and signs were also installed. 




South Ruislip Station

South Ruislip station under construction


Original Name

Northolt Junction, 1 May 1908.

(It should be noted that RAF Northolt is nearby and when the base was built as this station was called Northolt Junction the name RAF Northolt was chosen as bases are, historically, always named after their nearest station.)


Change of name:

South Ruislip & Northolt Junction, 12 September 1932.

South Ruislip, 30 June 1947.
  
Architect

1948 F F C Curtis British Railways (BR) (Western region) architect working on behalf of LT. 1962 Howard Cavanagh Modified original designs for completion.

Artist

1948 Henry Haig Produced frieze on the interior ring beam of the station. 

Engineer

P Croom-Johnson, LT Chief Engineer.

Contractor 1947 Caffin & Co.  

South Ruislip Station

South Ruislip Chiltern Line tracks
The station building was built adjacent to the original GWR tracks on Station Approach. Although not completed until the early 1960s the station building was constructed largely to Curtis's original 1946 design. The circular tower above the booking hall was in the original plan, although Curtis had designed this to be fitted with panes of glass between the slender concrete mullions. In the actual construction of the early 1960s the tower was constructed from translucent laminated glass/fibre glass curtain walling fixed to the outside of the mullions, forming a curtain wall rather than clerestory windows. Below the tower the entrance canopy is curved. There are two entrances either side of a central poster display, on each side of which are small single shop units.  

South Ruislip Station

Northolt Junctin Signal Box
The signal box, which was just London side of the bridge, has now been demolished

Inside, the booking hall is dominated by a concrete frieze which is inset with panels of multi-coloured ceramic and granite chips by Henry Haig. The frieze is designed to depict the flow of passengers. In addition to being a striking feature in the circular booking hall it also provides cover for lighting and cabling. The domed ceiling remains in its original condition and the booking hall is partly lit by natural light through the clerestory windows above the frieze. The original wooden framed telephone booths have all been filled with solid doors, except one. The clock above the entrance to the subway to the platforms is an early example. The recent ticket collection booths and barriers have been brought further into the booking hall than the originals, which were set further back into the subway. 

This subway passage forks left to a flight of stairs up to the island platform, whilst to the right a subway passage leads to the main line station. The subway remains largely intact, although some of the tiling is more recent at the foot of the stairs, as is the flush strip lighting and the aluminium  poster frames. The Underground platform access stairs retain their original timber handrails and the central balustrade is an early example.

South Ruislip Station

Low Bridge At South Ruislip Station
The platform is an island type and remains largely intact. It is covered by a concrete 'winged' canopy, which is supported centrally on tapered columns. The flush strip lighting now visible replaced the original strip-light fittings. On the platform is a single-storey brick unit, at the eastern end of which is a glazed waiting room. The pole-mounted station name roundels are not original. Those visible now are mounted on steel poles. Originally these were station name roundels mounted in vertical concrete slabs with an integral Y-shaped light above. The original tiled poster surrounds have been obscured by more recent aluminium frames. One concrete and timber platform bench remains intact, whilst the rest have been replaced with standard steel and timber versions. The platform clock, near the waiting room, is original, as are the bronze-framed route diagram signs which feature the two feathered arrows through a circle design.
 
The platform indicators are also worthy of note as the fixing brackets are original and the signs themselves, though not original to the station, are replacements of a very early type. 
The bridge is below "normal" height and was, according to Network Rail, in 2019 the 15th "Most Bashed Bridge in Britian" 

Did you know that there are actually five web sites in the Ruislip Online group.

Brief details are show below. Some of the web sites are very large!


So, as well as the one you are looking now which is mainly historical pieces below are some other web sites about Ruislip that may interest you.


Main Ruislip site

Ruislip Village Winter Scene

Up to date information about Ruislip and the area. Plus sections with suggested walks and even why houses are so expensive. Not forgetting the spies and USAF South Ruislip, so some history too.



More...


Ruislip In Pictures

Ruislip In Pictures
Pictures. Hundreds of them. Old pictures. Old adverts. Old buildings, in fact old everything and just a few more up to date ones. A veritable cornucopia of pictures.


Ruislip
Lido

Ruislip Lido Beach Shot

Ruislip's premier attraction and so important it gets a web site all to itself.

Everything from the history from years back to struggling to park today. It is all here.
Some classic pictures from years gone by.
 

More...


Ickenham Online

Ickenham Pump

We also run the community web site for Ickenham. Loads of old pictures and some more up to date one plus details of all that Ickenham has to offer.
 
Details of all the pubs and more is just one click away.
 
More...