The station was opened on 4 July 1904 by the Metropolitan Railway on its branch to Uxbridge. It was also served by the District between March 1910 and October 1933, when services were transferred to the Piccadilly Line.
Features an Edwardian all-timber signal cabin, one of only four remaining on the Underground (the others are to be found at Woodside Park, Chorleywood and Chesham stations).
1904 - 1910 The station was opened by the Metropolitan Railway on 4 July 1904, and was the only intermediate station on the line from Harrow-on-the-Hill to Uxbridge. The station building was very similar in design to the original station at Uxbridge, and remains substantially unaltered today. The architect is believed to have been Matthew Garbutt. There were two platforms, 325 ft long, connected by an iron lattice footbridge. A small goods yard was provided to the east of the station on the London-bound side, with facilities for coal and cattle and a dock from which road vehicles could be put on and off trains. There was no goods shed. A signal box was provided with 24 levers plus 3 spare. The station was situated about half a mile below what was then the remote village of Ruislip. Passenger traffic was light in the early years, the station seeing most activity in late spring, summer and early autumn, when day-trippers from London came to enjoy the countryside. The station was served by trains of the District as well as the Metropolitan from 1 March 1910, although the District had run some special services the previous summer.
Engineer 1904 E P Seaton Consulting Engineer
1904 A W Pearson Resident Engineer
1904 Walter Atkinson
1904 R Wells Assistant Engineer Contractor
1904 Bott & Stennett Main contractor
1904 Abbott and Son Sub-contractor - carpentry and joinery
1904 C & R Hill Sub-contractor - plumbing, painting and glazing
The station building is a large, single-storey red brick structure, and is the only one of the original stations on the Uxbridge line to survive virtually intact. It is superficially similar to such stations as Amersham and Chalfont & Latimer, but has a more advanced design and greater visual impact, although one source describes it as 'staid'. There is a large porch in front of the entrance, with corbelled cast-iron brackets supporting a modern corrugated metal canopy. The entrance doors are original. The high semi-circular door openings and windows feature segmental brick arches with stone details. The roof has been retiled, whilst the once prominent chimneys have been reduced in height, with one having been removed altogether.
The lattice-framed footbridge which connects the platforms dates from the opening of the station, although the pitched corrugated-iron roof and lower level timber panel infills date from the re-siting of 1928-1929.
Original 1930s platform roundels survive, (Now gone 2012) as does the disused signal box at the east end of the westbound platform, complete with its levers.
Ruislip Online would wish to point out that all the text above is copyright to London's Transport Museum and would wish to express
Ruislip Station first ever ticket
Brief details are show below. Some of the web sites are very large!
Main Ruislip site
Up to date information about Ruislip and the area. Plus sections with suggested walks and even why houses are so expensive. Not forgetting the spies and USAF South Ruislip, so some history too.
Ruislip In Pictures
Ruislip's premier attraction and so important it gets a web site all to itself.
Everything from the history from years back to struggling to park today. It is all here.
Some classic pictures from years gone by.
We also run the community web site for Ickenham. Loads of old pictures and some more up to date one plus details of all that Ickenham has to offer.
Details of all the pubs and more is just one click away.