Ruislip Manor Station

Ruislip Manor Station

Ruislip Manor Station Exterior Shot
Ruislip Online would wish to point out that all the text below is copyright to London's Transport Museum and would wish to express unreserved thanks for their help in compiling this page. Why don't you visit their excellent web site?

Ruislip Manor - Metropolitan and Piccadilly Lines The station opened as a basic wooden halt on 5 August 1912. Completely rebuilt in 1938 and then rebuilt at platform level in 2005. The 2005 information is not at present available.  

9 June 1940 The booking hall was flooded to a depth of 5 feet by a storm, which tore up barriers, overturned the passimeter and lifted the booking clerk through the roof. The station was closed for 8 hours whilst the water and silt was pumped out Architect
NOTE: The area under the bridge and so the station seems to flood whenever there is very heavy rain.

Ruislip Manor Station

Looking Up Victoria Road Towards Ruislip Manor Station
1938 Charles Holden

Present station


1938 Travers Morgan & Partner

Present station


1938 Limmer & Trinidad Lake Asphalte Co Ltd

Roof covering of station building

1938 Hayward Ltd

Collapsible gates 

1938 Shanks & Co Ltd

Sanitary fittings

1938 J W Gray & Son Ltd

Lightning conductors

Ruislip Manor Station

Ruislip Manor Station Bridge
The station building is constructed of multi-red wirecut bricks, and is of symmetrical design, with matching entrance recesses on each side of the bridge abutment leading through triple swing doors into the booking hall. The entrances are flanked by shop units, which were originally identical but have subsequently been removed and replaced by much poorer quality units. The entrance canopy projects only a few inches from the frontage. Original features include the recessed down lighters in concrete soffits in the entrance areas, the bronze push bars on the entrance doors, the fascia over the entrance, and the tiled, rendered poster panels.

The symmetry of the booking hall was destroyed when UTS was installed, and the passimeter was removed. The original cream tiling has been damaged, but a relatively successful effort has been made to match it with modern equivalents. The coffered ceiling forms the underside of the bridge.

Features of note in this area are the direction signs fired into the tiles, with pierced 'Mexican arrow' indicators, the original bronze barriers, and a unique wall clock with bright orange tile face numeral spots and metal hands.

The booking hall receives natural light from clerestory windows. Unfortunately, the original 'Bauhaus' globe lighting has been replaced with modern fluorescent fittings. 

Brick-faced staircases, lit by side windows and the clerestories in the booking hall, lead to the platforms. The staircases retain their original bronze handrails (which were once painted bright lime green!), inset hardwood 'Duke of York' (lk) seats on half landings, and tiled poster panels. The balustrades at the head of the staircase have been disfigured by the addition of crude mesh infill.

Ruislip Manor Station

Ruislip Manor station bridge with some photoshop added
(The information below is now out of date as the platforms were totally re-built in the 1990's)

The platforms have a mix of buildings. There are short concrete canopies at the west end of both platforms, whilst the original (1912) timber frame waiting shelters, with simple timber benches, also survive. The eastbound platform also has a modern timber framed waiting room with brick dwarf walls. The WAY OUT sign on the this platform is modern, but the frame, which hangs from a special horizontal soffit, dates from the rebuilding of the station. The suspended platform number signs on both platforms also date from 1938.