Rivoli Cinema Ruislip

The Rivoli Cinema in Ruislip

Rivoli Ruislip
The Rivoli Cinema was opened on 30th September 1929 with Betty Balfour in “Champagne”, directed by Alfred Hitchcock being the first film shown. It was operated by the Charles F. Cheshire Group. The Rivoli Cinema had a 36 feet wide proscenium and  also had a stage. The Rivoli Cinema also had a tea room for the the customers.

It was taken over by Shipman & King in 1935. They operated the Rivoli Cinema until it closed on 4th June 1966 with Jean Seberg in "Moment To Moment" and Don Knotts in "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken".

The building was later demolished and a Sainsbury’s supermarket was built on the site. This was not a great success, as there were no car parking facilities, and it stood closed for longer than it was open. In 2001 a new block of flats was built on the site, the Thomas More Building (Ickenham Road).

The Rivoli Cinema Ruislip

The Rivoli Cinema in Ruislip

The Rivoli Cinema Ruislip

The Rivoli Cinema in Ruislip High Street

The Rivoli Cinema Ruislip

The Rivoli Cinema in Ickenham Road Ruislip

The Rivoli Cinema Ruislip

Rivoli viewed from Ruislip High Street

J Sainsbury that replaced
The Rivoli Cinema Ruislip

J Sainsbury Ruislip Rivoli

The Thomas More Building Ruislip

The Thomas More Building Ruislip