Welcome to the Ruislip Online detailed web site


Embassy Cinema Ruislip

The Embassy Ruislip

Embassy Ruislip
The Astoria Cinema was the second cinema to be opened in Ruislip where the first was the Rivoli. It opened on 24th September 1934 with Elisabeth Bergner and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. appearing in “Catherine the Great”(The Rise of Catherine the Great).

It was run by the Charles F. Cheshire group.

Like the nearby Rivoli Cinema, it was taken over by Shipman & King in 1935. The Astoria Cinema had a 38 feet wide proscenium which had attractive grilles depicting fishes swimming, on each side on the side walls.

The Astoria Cinema was ‘modernised’ in 1967 and had a distinctive metal cladding mounted on its facade. It was re-named Embassy Cinema from 30th April 1967.

The Embassy Cinema was eventually closed on 28th November 1981 with Dudley Moore in "10" and Goldie Hawn "Private Benjamin" being the final films shown. It was demolished in October 1986.

The new building on the site contains a McDonalds Restaurant and an Iceland supermarket.

Astoria Cinema Ruislip

The Astoria Ruislip

The Embassy Ruislip

The Astoria Cinema Ruislip