This web site is enormous! Use the box to the right to search the whole site for what you are looking for.
Ruislip Manor Station
Ruislip Online would wish to point out that all the text below is copyright to London's Transport Museum and would wish to express unreserved thanks for their help in compiling this page. Why don't you visit their excellent web site?
Ruislip Manor - Metropolitan and Piccadilly Lines
The station opened as a basic wooden halt on 5 August 1912. Completely rebuilt in 1938 and then rebuilt at platform level in 2005. The 2005 information is not at present available.
9 June 1940 The booking hall was flooded to a depth of 5 feet by a storm, which tore up barriers, overturned the passimeter and lifted the booking clerk through the roof. The station was closed for 8 hours whilst the water and silt was pumped out
1938 Charles Holden
1938 Travers Morgan & Partner
1938 Limmer & Trinidad Lake Asphalte Co Ltd
Roof covering of station building
1938 Hayward Ltd
1938 Shanks & Co Ltd
1938 J W Gray & Son Ltd
The station building is constructed of multi-red wirecut bricks, and is of symmetrical design, with matching entrance recesses on each side of the bridge abutment leading through triple swing doors into the booking hall. The entrances are flanked by shop units, which were originally identical but have subsequently been removed and replaced by much poorer quality units. The entrance canopy projects only a few inches from the frontage. Original features include the recessed down lighters in concrete soffits in the entrance areas, the bronze push bars on the entrance doors, the fascia over the entrance, and the tiled, rendered poster panels.
The symmetry of the booking hall was destroyed when UTS was installed, and the passimeter was removed. The original cream tiling has been damaged, but a relatively successful effort has been made to match it with modern equivalents. The coffered ceiling forms the underside of the bridge.
Features of note in this area are the direction signs fired into the tiles, with pierced 'Mexican arrow' indicators, the original bronze barriers, and a unique wall clock with bright orange tile face numeral spots and metal hands.
The booking hall receives natural light from clerestory windows.
Unfortunately, the original 'Bauhaus' globe lighting has been replaced with
modern fluorescent fittings.
Brick-faced staircases, lit by side windows and the clerestories in the booking hall, lead to the platforms. The staircases retain their original bronze handrails (which were once painted bright lime green!), inset hardwood 'Duke of York' (lk) seats on half landings, and tiled poster panels. The balustrades at the head of the staircase have been disfigured by the addition of crude mesh infill.
(The information below is now out of date
as the platforms were totally re-built in the 1990's)
The platforms have a mix of buildings. There are short concrete canopies at the west end of both platforms, whilst the original (1912) timber frame waiting shelters, with simple timber benches, also survive. The eastbound platform also has a modern timber framed waiting room with brick dwarf walls. The WAY OUT sign on the this platform is modern, but the frame, which hangs from a special horizontal soffit, dates from the rebuilding of the station. The suspended platform number signs on both platforms also date from 1938.
Ruislip Online would wish to point out that all the text above is copyright to London's Transport Museum and would wish to express unreserved thanks for their help in compiling this page. Why don't you visit their excellent web site?
Ruislip Online top 10 index
Ruislip Online main index